The Stop Sign

The Stop Sign

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Exercise Plan


     Many times after hearing a motivational speech or reading an inspirational article I’m often left wanting something practical that I can use. In my blog, To The Stop Sign and Back, I shared about my first run from the end of my driveway to the stop sign back. Even tough I had Jessie, my enthusiastic wide-eyed running partner running beside me, I realized that the exercise plan that I had been doing was not going to be sufficient to complete a 10K (6.2) mile race. My running partner realized this too. What follows is the plan that we put together in April 2014 and how I adjusted it safely. Additionally, I want to offer others an opportunity to see how I started so that they can develop a practical plan for themselves.

November 2013 to April 2014 Exercise Plan
Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Rest
60 min Elliptical
60 min Stationary Bike
60 min Treadmill
60 min Elliptical
60 min Stationary Bike
Rest

     I would try to spend sixty minutes five times a week doing some type of exercise. Combined with diet, this plan worked well for me in taking off the pounds. Thirty-five pounds lost in three months! In April when Jessie helped me to chart a course to running a 10K race in seventeen weeks, my first week workout looked like this while continuing to do the exercise plan above.

Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Rest
Walk the Trail*
Rest
60 min Elliptical
Rest
Rest
Rest
 *The Thom Trail in Carl Junction. A three mile out and back trail consisting of crush gravel and asphalt.

     I was allowed to adjust my plan by taking into consideration how my body was reacting to the workout. Did I need to rest? Could I pick up the pace safely? Below is my complete adjusted first week workout.

Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Rest
60 min Elliptical,
3.1 mile Trail Walk
60 min Stationary Bike,
3.1 mile walk
60 min Elliptical,
20 sit ups, 3.1 mile walk
60 min Stationary Bike, 1 mile walk
60 min Elliptical, 20 sit ups, 3.4 mile walk
6.2 mile walk

     I give all the glory to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. In my fight against diabetes it is my hope that this starter exercise plan will inspire you to consider a plan that works for you. Where will you begin?

To The Stop Sign and Back Feel free to Like and Share on Facebook




Safety Note: Consult with your physician before beginning any exercise program. 

No comments:

Post a Comment